Monday, July 18, 2016

Spain || Week One

Wednesday, July 13th

Adventure of the day: getting lost in the streets of Barcelona and ending up in front of the Cathedral.

Marta, Albert and I ventured into Barcelona on our own today which take about 20 minutes by train. We got off in the center of the city and started walking toward what we thought was the Museum of Ideas and Inventions. We walked 20 minutes in the wrong direction before we stopped and asked for help. With the guidance of a handful of helpful natives and Marta's interpreting, we made it past the Cathedral to the museum behind it. 



Thursday, July 14th

Adventure of the day: biking to San Cugat City Center, admiring the Monastery, eating ice cream and drinking espresso with Marta. [Thank you, Brice, for the American Eagle backpack!]

Albert had piano class today so Marta and I took bikes to the Sant Cugat City Center which is centered on a Monastery that was built in the 6th Century. Marta and I found a cozy cafe and read for a while before heading back home by bike.

 Friday, July 15th

Adventure of the day: going to an art store in Sant Cugart with Marta and then getting an amazing coffee. Also, taking the train to Barcelona and wondering the streets all by myseeeelf! [I did miss my stop on the way home but for a girl who has never used public transportation.. This is a big feat!!]

In the afternoon, I was some time to myself and decided to head into Barcelona and do touristy things - took pictures of every building, admired the sea and the sail boats, watched street performers with awe and popped in and out of shops. There is so much history and art around every corner!

Saturday, July 16th

Adventure of the day: going to the BEST market in Barcelona called La Boqueria. We purchased fresh fish (which had been swimming in the Mediterranean yesterday), veggies, fruit, beans and, of course, an espresso. 

I learned the ins and outs of buying from this type of market - I completely underestimated the price we've paid to replace this experience with convenience. 
Jorge, the kid's dad, took Marta and I to the biggest market in Barcelona this morning. He pointed out the different shops and types of food available. Afterwards, we went to meet Albert and his mom, Anna, for a piano recital. 

Sunday, July 27th

Adventure of the day: venturing into Barcelona for church in the morning, beach in the afternoon, and then traditional Spanish dinner with extended family.

It was an hour commute and 7,000 steps, but I made my way to International Church in Barcelona for a 10AM service. I got a little teary eyed toward the end of the service feeling like I have a community to belong to in Spain! I had been speaking to Brice about feeling all alone so I'm hoping to make some connections here. ICB is a lot like Passion Church with enthusiastically welcoming atmosphere, great worship and an inspiring message. In the bottom picture, it's the Mediterranean Sea on the left, the city of Barcelona in the background and a sailboat port to the right. ⛵️



1 comment: